The Penobscot area includes more lighthouses than any other. Stretching from Marshall Point in the south to Fort Point some 22 miles north of Camden, over 20 lighthouses can be visited.
Penobscot Lighthouse Regional Map
Penobscot Lighthouse Region
Primary Lighthouses of the Penobscot Region
Curtis Island, named for Cyrus Curtis the publishing tycoon who founded the Saturday Evening Post, was built in 1896. The tower is 25 feet tall and made of brick with a green fourth-order lens. Today the Coast Guard maintains the light and the town of Camden maintains the rest of the island.
Also known as Mark Island Light, Deer Island Thorofare, was built in the mid 1800´s. It is still an active aid to navigation in the area. Although the keeper´s house was destroyed by fire in 1959, the light tower still remains. In addition to the tower there is also a modern fog signal located near the tower.
Isle Au Haut
The Isle Au Haut lighthouse, sitting on the western edge of the island of Isle Au Haut on Robinson's Point, was built in 1907 and was one of the last lighthouses built in Maine. In 1934 the light was automated and the house and surrounding land was purchased by Charles Robinson, a local island resident. In 1986, Jeff and Judi Burke, the current owners, bought the land and surrounding houses and converted it to an Inn.
Port Clyde has a long tradition as an artist´s retreat. Andrew Wyeth had a studio here, as well as his son Jaime not far away. The picturesque harbor and the light at Marshall Point still serve as an active classroom for art workshops. The 31 foot tower was built in 1823 and refurbished in 1857. The light was automated in 1981.
Located on a steep cliff overlooking the entrance to Rockland Harbor, Owls Head is now a beautiful state landmark. The name Owl's Head comes from the two large indentations in the headlands that suggest an owl's eyes. The original light was first built here in 1826 and the present brick tower was constructed in 1852 and fitted at that time with a fourth-order fresnel lens.
To protect the wide harbor area, Rockland Breakwater was constructed in the early 1800's. A first small tower was put on the breakwater in 1827. The present gambrel-roofed fog signal building with attached square lighthouse tower was built in 1902, and originally fitted with a fourth-order lens with a flashing white light.
The Tenants Harbor Light was erected on the northeast side of Southern Island at the entrance to Tenants Harbor in 1857. The wooden tower initially had a fourth-order Fresnel lens exhibiting a red flash visible for 13 nautical miles. It was first illuminated on January 1, 1858.